Cooking for one (womp womp)

Sorry to mislead you with the title, since I couldn't be happier making a meal just for me. Perhaps it is only child syndrome, but I've never understood why lady mags (and non-lady mags for that matter) bemoan cooking for one. Yes, I enjoy a great meal with my friends, but I also REALLY enjoy eating a meal that I've made just the way that I like it. Hey, I know that it's possible that not EVERYONE likes hot sauce on popcorn, which is why it's nice to not have to share (the NOT sharing is key). Though, coming up with a meal that's not pasta and sauce, steak and potatoes, or pasta with veggies and heaping amounts of cheese, is hard to do. And most of the time/all of the time, I'm generally coming from the gym, so I'm sweaty, hungry, impatient, and tired (waaahhhh!) and completely content with eating chips and salsa for dinner....or fries, mountains of fries. Luckily, I have friends that, like me, send food inspo (sorry, I am one of those people that takes pictures of my food AND sends pictures of food to make people jealous), but can actually cook whole meals like adults. A couple of weeks ago, my friend Ellen (of the delectable runny egg .gif) gave me the recipe for a super simple, but tasty, baked salmon with an avocado salad. It's so simple, I was able to shower (admittedly, that's my main problem with cooking--I have a shorter attention span than it requires) and change (into PJs) with just enough time to grab it out of the oven. Recipe below!

For the salmon:
You'll need:

1 tblspn extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch (can you pinch pepper?) of pepper
1 slab of salmon

I used a generous portion of salmon and was able to split it up into two meals, but do what's comfortable for you. I drizzled the olive oil all over the salmon and then liberally applied salt and pepper. But, I'm sure brushing the olive oil over it would've had similar effects. Bake on 350 degrees for about 10 mins.

Avocado salad:

1/2 avocado
1/8 red onion
juice of 1/2 lime

Fold all ingredients together.Voila! You have your avocado salad! I paired mine with garlic toasted French bread (which baked in the oven at the same time as the salmon. Woohoo! Multitasking!) and Ellen paired hers with pasta. Rice also would've worked, but again, the laziness factor generally wins out. Pics below.  Also, I think there comes a time in every relationship where you give out your last name and birthday to the person you're seeing and for us, it's about that time. Though, what I really mean is, here's my instagram (Warning: do not look at my pics when you're hungry)

Ellen's:


Mine:




 Xoxo, 
E




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wouldn't admit this to anyone but you guys

Let’s just talk about the elephant in the room…

Puffins, Seals, and Glaciers, OH MY!