Raising a glass to Cady Heron














This past weekend, I made it out of town (out of the country, actually) for a friend's bachelorette party. I was a little afraid at first since the only person that I knew really well, was the bachelorette. There were multiple ladies on the trip that I'd never met, only met in passing, or sort of knew from college. Add sleep deprivation on top of that, and walking up to say hi to a couple of the ladies was downright intimidating. You know how sometimes your insecurities get the best of you, and while you realize that you're not being logical, you can't seem to shake them? Well, that happened to me for the first five minutes of being on the trip. Luckily, the ladies were so wonderful, upbeat, and personable, that I didn't get to languish in that feeling very long. Good thing, since my roomie (someone that I had never met) and I walked into our room and saw that we were going to be sharing the duration of the trip (4 days, 3 nights) in a Queen bed. Dun dun dun!! Cue the dramatic gerbil.

Needless to say, it worked out incredibly well. I had a FANTASTIC time and came back (momentarily) refreshed. I also came back with a sore throat and a cold, but that's a post for another time. Point being, there's something about female relationships, old and new, that can leave your soul feeling joyful and happy. Don't get me wrong, I love my guy friends--some of them provide me with some much needed comic relief when I'm over-analyzing a situation. But, there's nothing like eating chocolate and drinking red wine with a new (or old) girlfriend that really makes your day.

Perhaps it's that as we get older, we're better at figuring out what personalities are compatible with our own and which aren't, or that we've finally gotten to the age where BS is no longer permissible. Whatever it is, I like it! As an only child, meeting a great girlfriend can almost feel like meeting a sibling that you have endless amounts of fun with and all sorts of inside jokes. An individual that you can talk about crazy nail art with one moment and career challenges as a late 20-something the next.

So, this weekend, give your closest girlfriend a squeeze and pop open a bottle of Pinot Grigio (or, your beverage of choice) and revel in your female friendships.
 
                                                                              ~    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let’s just talk about the elephant in the room…

I wouldn't admit this to anyone but you guys

So, I can't just eat french fries and bagels the entire time?